October 5, 2010

Cooking Class...

Also known as The One Where Mommy Learns A Lesson on How to Keep Her Mouth Shut...

So, back a few months ago, I saw that the neighboring town was offering a "Mommy and Me" Cooking Class. It promised a place to go Monday mornings for four weeks and get your hands dirty in the kitchen with your child. I thought it sounded fun, and this is Sassy's last chance to do something like this before kindergarten, so we signed up. It was only $20 to register.

I talked with Sassy about it. We dreamed up all the things we might do. Sassy immediately located her apron and got it ready for class. A week prior to the start of the class, I called the host and made sure everything was a go. It was.

From them on, we started our ritual countdown of how many more sleeps. Sassy was so excited!

Along came the Saturday before class, and I received the dreaded phone call. The we're sorry but your class has been cancelled due to inadequate enrollment phone call. You can be sure I shared a little banter with the poor deliverer of bad news, explaining the precise reason I called to ask this question 5 days ago, what this class meant to the inhabitants of our household, and how it is a reasonable expectation of mine to be informed that the class was not yet full enough when I made said call.

Anyway...

The fact remained. No cooking class.

I knew Sassy was going to be disappointed. Tyler and I were talking in my office when she popped in. He sat her on his knee and I delivered the bad news, fully expecting a sad little face. What I didn't expect was for Sassy to burst into immediate alligator tears, sobbing as if you just stomped on her toes, broke all of her toys, and told her that Santa coming this year, all at one fell swoop.

It was ugly.

The best I could do was assure her that she and I could still have cooking class at home. We would devote every Monday morning for the next four weeks to creating our own culinary concoctions. Nana, hearing what was going on from a distance, ran and grabbed a few kids cooking tools that she had been saving for Christmas and quickly gifted them on the spot. We turned the alligator tears into tadpole tears.

Well, let me tell you- we've had two weeks of cooking class, and it's been a HUGE success. Sassy has helped me choose the menu and shop for ingredients. We start off by washing our hands and then talking about each ingredient, the order we need them in, preparation, etc. Sassy has helped retrieve things from the fridge and the lazy susan. She has set the table. She has cooked, helped with plate presentation, and served Nana, Tink and I each time. She's loved every minute of it!

Week 1 was bagel pizzas: both turkey pepperoni and pineapple...





Week 2 was quesadillas: cheese and veggie...





I wait with great anticipation to see what she comes up with for week 3. We are also taking suggestions! ♥

Lord help me if that art class we signed her up for gets cancelled...

4 sweet tweets:

Sherry said...

Even better than the class you were going to take, I bet! Looks like loads of fun!!

Lisa said...

This is a great idea! I need to try this and maybe it would get Pootie to try new foods!

Alyssa said...

That is an awesome idea! How fun for you guys- I'll bet she loves shopping! I need to steal it- Sis would adore picking and planning the menu!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you may have gotten her excited about food...