February 10, 2011

Just Another Crazy Snow Day...

Just as I had predicted, several more inches of snow, blustery winds, and frigid temperatures forced area school to cancel yesterday... yet again.

I faced the nasty weather head-on Tuesday night and went in to help Miss Debbie set up the book fair. Lynzee and I were slated to work the book fair preview yesterday morning. We make breakfast treats for all the primary teachers and help them select books to put in their donation request piles before book fair begins. Well, the book fair preview breakfast went to the wayside as we learned school was cancelled just before 10 pm Tuesday evening. Which left only one logical solution for yesterday morning here in the SPH...



...we rocked the monkey bread here, instead.

Tink was less than thrilled during the waiting period that comes along with monkey bread territory- the time between when the ooey gooey deliciousness comes out of the oven and the time it is actually cool enough to enjoy... I eventually sped the process along by throwing the girls portions in the freezer for a few minutes.



Look a what a little foodie photog I am inspiring!



Shortly after breakfast, we declared an SPH state of emergency and decided that pajamas for the remainder of the day were a necessity! We had a movie marathon in the basement...



We deemed it naturally appropriate to watch Ice Age and Happy Feet. Each of us (myself included) brought a blankie and a guy to the basement, and the three of us cuddled on the couch watching said movies until lunch time. Divine!



I was able to get some of my work done during quiet time, and the girls were surprisingly cooperative about laying down and/or playing quietly in the bedrooms. Tyler headed home from work early because he had awoken to a flat tire, subsequently took my car to work, and wanted to get home early enough to get everything fixed before it became too dark outside. He finished up pretty quickly, and by the time Tink woke up, we were ready to head into uncharted territory and try something completely new for us. I began to gather the necessary supplies...



Any guesses??? Snow ice cream, of course! I'm wondering if this is a Kansas thing or a new-development-within-the-last-15-years thing or a I-live-under-a-rock thing, because I grew up in Chicago (i.e. lots of snow) and had never heard of making ice cream out of snow before. Ever. I digress. We followed this recipe. Sassy was so excited to head outside!



It was remarkably beautiful outside- the sun was beginning to set and the snow was blanketed and undisturbed across the yard. So pretty.



Ty and the girls got to work, taking turns measuring out cups of clean snow and dumping it into the bowl...



The scooped and dumped and scooped and dumped, counting out loud the number of cups they were at to keep track...



After they reached the amount of snow necessary for our recipe, the girls took advantage of being all bundled up for a few minutes and played out in the snow. Tink was about the cutest thing ever, running circles, admiring her tracks, and testing the effects of gravity...



Meanwhile, I couldn't get over how pretty the scenery was, hence the 4,282 pictures.



Sassy showed me how she had mastered the art of blowing snow...



Even Charlie and Bumper wanted in on the action...



Finally, we headed inside to finish our ice cream mission...



After we got out of all of our outdoor winter clothes, the mixing commenced.



The girls gave it a go...



...and then waited patiently while Daddy finished the mixing...



They were quite pleased with their results!



Truth be told, I had no intention of trying it. The entire concept falls somewhere in my brain between that's disgusting and that cannot be good for you. I was a total snow ice cream skeptic, but it actually looked really good. So, I went for it...



I was a-mazed at how real the consistency was. It fell somewhere between soft serve and regular ice cream, and it was exceptionally creamy. Now, I am confident that the type of snow that falls is a vital determining factor on how successful your snow ice cream will be. Because, you know, I am a snow ice cream expert.

Try it sometime! I doubt you'll be disappointed.

6 sweet tweets:

danielle @ take heart said...

fun!!

thanks for sharing on my breastfeeding post, friend :)

and, hey, i hope you link up so i can see your headband from the swap!!

Anonymous said...

I have a suggestion for your blog: Your next giveaway prize should be a batch of monkeybread!!! That is my ALL TIME FAVORITE!!! Then again, maybe you shouldn't give it away, because if I don't win it would be absolutely devastating to me!

Mrs. D said...

That monkey break looks delicious! Never tried it, but looks tasty! I wish we could try to make snow ice cream, but b/c of my dogs, there is just too much yellow snow and I don't think that would be good at all :p

Anonymous said...

This last snow was perfect for snow icr cream, but real icy snow is not. I have tried all the recipes and this last time found the absolute perfect ingredient: flavored Coffeemate. Dana posted it on FB recently so I tried it. It was the best yet.

Anonymous said...

That monkeybread looks so yummy!!! And I LOVE Tink's expression while waiting for it :)

Kendra said...

That pic of Tink frowning over the Monkey Bread is PRICELESS. Oh my word I just cracked up laughing!!

But, I am quite disappointed you didn't include the recipe! AHEM! Where is it?