March 12, 2009

Sassy's New Word...

**INTERESTING UPDATE**
So, apparently, gonk is a (sort-of) real word. The first meaning of the word gonk that I came across is a stuffed animal produced during World War II. Teddy Bears stopped shipping from Germany, so a couple of clever ones created the gonk. They became very popular in Britain in the 1960's, and supposedly, if someone called you a "gonk", you were "hip and happening" (well, what do you know?). Here is a very old ad for the gonk:

There are apparently other meanings for the word gonk in the world of slang. Sometimes, gonks refer to underpants (Ireland). In the UK, it can be a derogatory term, referring to a "droopy looking character".

Wow- you learn something new every day... huh? For more about the gonk, click here.

As for the mentality of a two-year-old, I like Sassy Engineer's logical comment!________________________________________________________________________

For the past few days, Sassy has been completely fixated on calling people a new term of endearment (I can only hope). Her word of the week is gonk, usually paired with silly. Everything is a "Silly gonk".

Sassy called Nana a silly gonk several times yesterday. She told me I looked like a gonk. She sat at the table eating lunch and yelled out, "G-O-O-O-N-K" repeatedly...

...Anyone want to take a stab at what the heck gonk means?

6 sweet tweets:

Sassy Engineer said...

How funny - no idea what a gonk is, but it kind of reminds of a noise a goose makes. So maybe silly goose turned into silly gonk? Who knows!

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is very interesting - I've never heard the word "gonk" before. Amazing what trails our children lead us along isn't it? :)

Came here from McMommy's POW linky.

Spin Mama said...

She must just like those sounds together, maybe she came up with it talking to herself or something. At least it's not a swear word! Came from McMommy POW.

Spin Mama said...

Oh, and I'm a native Kansan -- what a coincidence!

Tabitha said...

Hi, Heather! Looks like we're partners for the Spring Swap! I'm so excited! I'll be poking around your blog and getting to know you better as I formulate my ideas!! :)
Feel free to shoot me an e-mail, I'd love to know what some of your "favorites" are!
tabandrew@hotmail.com
I'll be in touch...
-Tabitha
www.proudgrits.blogspot.com

McMommy said...

Gonk??? Please please please don't teach that to my son!

Or wait.

I take that back. Yes, you can.

Gonkhead sounds so much better than poopiehead...his new fav word.

:)